Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Friday 29 May 2009

Back on board for a few days...

Back on board now after a lovely couple of days with my parents and my sister Linda. We found some very smart material for curtains, now I just have to make them! It’s years since I did any sewing, I'm going to have to contact my oldest sister who has the know-how and also, most importantly, the sewing machine!! The boat will look so different once the flowery curtains are down, but I’m not giving any information away about what the new ones will be like – there’ll be a photo on once they are hanging up!

We also went to see Star Trek at the movies, not a bad film, lots of good special effects and great casting.

Yesterday another of my sisters, Viv, and her friend Ray, drove up from Bath to my mums and then brought me back to the boat in the evening. We went for a few drinks at The Swanne Inne in Evesham ( I have to say I’m not terribly impressed with any of the pubs here, not the nicest ones we’ve found!) and then back to the boat for some dinner, a drink or two and a game of cards sitting on the island on a very balmy summers evening.

Joining us for the evening were the island's new goose parents and their two goslings – they are soooo cute! They're just 3 days old and are a little green in colour and ability at the moment. They were unsteady on their feet and kept falling over and doing gambols, very amusing to watch! As the night grew darker we were also joined by a number of low flying bats, so Viv and I decided it was time to return to the boat!

Northern Pride is booked in to have its bottom blacked, its central heating system serviced, and its Boat Safety Certificate done next Monday - it will take most of the week to get it all done I'm told. Bob is going to come and help me to drive it to the Marina, thank goodness! I'll be curtain making after that; then may reward myself with a fun weekend in Exeter for my nephew’s 21st - so long as I can leave the boat at the Marina or return it to the lock.

I tried to get a few photo's on tonight, but no luck - the internet coverage is very poor...

No comments:

Post a Comment