Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Sunday 2 February 2014

So we win again!

Barry's been getting to know our neighbours in the Marina over the past few weeks, and yesterday invited them to Scott's Bar for the quiz night. Their response was that they were rather good at quizzes, and they didn't disappoint - thank you Liz and Andy, our current affairs knowledge is rather sparse but you definitely made up for it!

We won the quiz, with 40 and a half points (I think the closest to us was around 35), though admittedly Barry and I probably only contributed less than 4 of those points! When we got the answers, I realised I'd said out loud one of them but not written it down, so I could've contributed another point!

Here's the question, no googling, what film is the pub 'The Slaughtered Lamb' in? Heaven knows where my brain had it hard-wired from, but strangely it knew …

That's three wins on a Saturday night, out of about a dozen - so they're definitely threatening to eject us from the Marina and possibly contacting the visa authorities. But only in jest, they're lovely people and we'll miss the camaraderie of the boating community here.

Many people who we chat to who live 'on land', look at us in astonishment when we say we live on a narrowboat. If you've never done it it can be challenging to understand what the appeal could be. Those of us who have, or do, know that this way of living differently, and more simply, can bring a lot of joy into every day life. But admittedly it's not for everyone.

We do love Tattenhall Marina, and will miss it when we leave - less than four weeks left now of our winter mooring.

A recent calm day at the marina, with Beeston Castle in the background


So many different shapes and sizes of boats

A flock of seagulls recently visited us

How do they not bump into each other? Incredibile




4 comments:

  1. Yes agree with you when talking to land living people. It was amazing on our cruise on Oriana recently how many people were so interested in our way of living asking so many questions at times it was hard to get away for some peace! Having said that there were a few who thought us a water gypsies!

    I remember one cruise a while ago we had met a couple for breakfast when we all sit at the next available table instead of a set table of 6 or 8 that is allocated in the evenings.

    She wasn't too keen on us!

    Rarely do we see the same people on these big boats, but there she was approaching the table at breakfast time and very loudly she said to her other half "I am not sitting next to those two!"... Bloomin' snob! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Lovely to hear from you. I guess it takes all sorts. I like to think that most often when people are affronted or appear stand-offish, it's just a lack of understanding - and may even be envy! They'd probably give their right arm for the freedom we have in our 'water gypsy' lives (I'm not in the least offended by that term) ;-)

      Delete
    2. No, nor I am Sandra, in fact I rather like it!

      It reminds me of yet another 'story' some years ago when Sir, me and errrm, I think we just had Lucy then (our beloved collie now at rest). I can't quite remember where it was but for sure it was near where you are at the moment.

      As we were walking away from the boat some people were walking along the towpath. Lucy had her red spotted scarf on. After passing us I overheard one of them say "Oh they must be new age travellers".. Another replied "More like old age travellers".. I don't know how I didn't fall into the cut laughing!!

      Delete