Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Friday 10 May 2013

Packing it all in ...

No, don't worry, that doesn't mean we've had enough and are returning to New Zealand!

For the next week or so though, I'm packing a lot in to see my eldest sister for her birthday tomorrow in Lichfield, then going to my parents in Ombersley on Sunday morning, and later that day travelling down to Brighton to see my youngest daughter, staying until Friday when I'll head back to mum and dad's.

I'm not sure why my family are so scattered, I suppose it's just the way of the world now for a lot of people.  It's lovely for me to be back here and able to visit them, though it's still a challenge getting to the various parts of the country!


He aha te mea nui o te ao? 
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!
What is the most important thing in the world? 
It is people! It is people! It is people!

Maori Proverb (from Tairawhiti/Gisborne)


Barry will be 'boat alone' for six days.  If anyone's in the area, has some free time and wants some time on board with Barry, get in touch!

We're moored now just past Fradley Junction, and the lovely people at Enterprise (Lichfield) will come and pick us up tomorrow morning from The Swan Public House there - reportedly the most photographed pub on the system - we may pop in for a pint tonight, it'd be rude not to!  But just the one sadly ...

Enterprise car hire are a gift to boaters, as they collect you from wherever the boat is moored, take you back to the office and get you signed up.  Then they'll take you back again at the end of the car hire - marvellous!  I've looked at train prices to get me to all the places we need to go to, and it would work out about the same, but with a lot more hassle getting to stations and then there'd be delays and missed connections and when you're trying to pack it all in it's just too stressful.

On Saturday we're going to see Jim at The Hop and Cork, Brownhills (or Brownshill as Barry calls it!), to talk about Barry's business that we'll be setting up on the boat once he has his UK visa.

I'm leaving Barry to post a few blogs next week - you may get to see some of his amazing photographs, I know he has some ready to go.  It's so long since he's done so though, it'll take him a while to remember but I'm sure he'll work it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment