Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Sunday 5 September 2010

Both back on the boat in Bath

Friday 27 August

Barry spent Friday checking out some more of Bath before I returned to the boat late in the afternoon. Luckily there were no delays on the train, and I arrived in Bath just after 1700hrs.  Sadly Barry wasn't here to meet me initially, but once outside the station I saw him running up the road - he'd got carried away chatting to the people on the boat moored next to him, saw a train passing and realised it must be about the time I was due so made a mad dash there!  I was a little disappointed that my husband wasn't on time after five days apart - bless him he was in a bit of strife with his wife!

planet-chicken-cover3-184x300When we first arrived in Bath I'd bought a book called 'Planet Chicken - The shameful story of the bird on your plate', and had been reading it while I was away - read the Guardian review from 2007 to find out more.  I'm now totally appalled at the treatment of chickens, and determined never to buy anything with 'cheap chicken' in again.  It's unbelievable what these beautiful creatures are put through in their measly six weeks of life, to provide budget chicken for people.  I used to think that what I didn't know didn't hurt me, but after Lisa getting chickens and meeting them on our day at Lisa and Rob's in June, and seeing Sarah's ex-battery chickens in August, I've become fascinated with the process of how we get this meat on our tables.  I can't  imagine ever being a vegetarian, but can try and be more thoughtful about the meat I buy and eat.

The moral of the book is to pay more for 'Free Range' (and not just masquerading as such), eat it less often, and appreciate it more.

Barry and I previously visited Bath in April 2007 when we came to England for a month's holiday, and we did the obligatory 'Open Top Bus Tour' then.  However he's still managed to capture a diverse range of gorgeous sights in the city, this time by foot ...

P1330681A

P1330682A

 There are just so many interesting angles to Bath - a picture round every corner 

P1330692

P1330695A

Down the road from Pulteney Bridge

P1330697

 The museum of art - sadly not open

P1330703

P1330700A

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Under restoration or something                                  Another decorated lion 

P1330759A

P1330698A

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Obviously hard hit by the 'Window Tax'

P1330702

P1330708-Panorama1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Such beautiful apartments and houses everywhere

P1330716A

P1330713A

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I crossed the canal before realising where I was, as I wandered through Sydney Gardens

P1330727A

I walked up the hill to get a better view of Bath and the surrounding area

P1330723

The  Cathedral and the centre of the city

P1330733P1330732  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There were some amazing residences on the walk - I'll let the pictures talk!

P1330738 P1330743A P1330752A P1330758A 

P1330760A

P1330761

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bath stone has such a warmth about it

P1330763A Crossing back over the canal there was 'Bath Narrowboats' that we passed last Friday

P1330765A

P1330769

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P1330782

P1330784A

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was good to be back on the boat now it has a working toilet again - we need to travel some distance on Saturday and in the coming week, as we've been moving rather slowly once again.  I told Jamie and Barry last week that Barry's son Tom and I had arranged for him to come to England from NZ for almost three weeks (it was going to be a surprise but then I realised that they'd miss out on the excitement of anticipating and planning his visit) - he arrives at Heathrow on 12 September, so we need to be a lot closer to London by then!

On our travels in 2009 we met a number of people who've kept in touch, one of whom, David, while going through the locks leaving Manchester.  He works in Bath so we'd arranged to catch up, and on his recommendation went to The Raven for some real ale and to sample their famous pies - the pub won the 'Bath and Borders CAMRA City Pub of the year 2010' for the second time in four years. We remembered to take a photo of David and I, but completely forgot to take one of the pies which were delicious - and I was most impressed they had one using free range chicken which I chose, woohoo! 

IMG_1355Sandra and David prior to dinner 

It was a great place, very busy and with a real pub atmosphere for a change - obviously a popular spot.  Good to see you again David.

P1330684-300-dpiA bright burst of colour to end the day

2 comments:

  1. That smile of mine looks a bit unnatural. Probably caused by too much home brew and Raven ale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to see that you got to The Raven at last. David obviously knows his pubs then!

    ReplyDelete