Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Monday 1 June 2009

Woohoo! We made it there intact!!

Thank you to the 3 people (so far anyway!) who've ticked one of the feedback boxes for yesterday's post, much appreciated!
Two of the island's geese came to say goodbye to me last night, at one point I thought they were going to climb on board!!!!

OMG!!!! I drove the boat to the Marina and only almost beached it once!!! My heart was in my mouth, my hands were shaking, and Bob was at the front of the boat - not at the back with me ready to take over at a moments notice as I expected – in fact I may even have hoped that he would drive it, but no, he obviously thought I was able to or just wasn’t sure he could! Still it was good to have someone on board with me directing me and laughing with me when the boat didn’t want to go where I tried to get it to go, there was a bit of a wind blowing which didn’t help! But the only problem was leaving the mooring and trying to turn it to go to the lock (quite a sharp bend, so we had to go up river a bit, in fact we almost reached the bridge before I got it all under control!!), once I finally managed to do that it was ‘plain sailing’ so to speak.
Bob looking a little greyer I think after almost going into the trees at the side of the river - the flag got bent again, sorry Deb!! But it's still intact to fight another day ...

Safely into the lock and holding the fore rope

Looking back at the lower Avon


Chris, the Monday relief Lock-keeper, releases the upper Avon slowly into the lock - hold on tight!


The lock shop

I even managed to drive the boat into the Marina without crashing, so was very proud of myself! Well actually I tell a lie, as we parked up I did bang a bit into the side, but nothing major!
They are certainly not the most helpful people at Evesham Marina – is it just people who work in Marinas I wonder? Are they a special breed or something? Do you have to be incredibly stuck up and act as though anyone who comes in for anythig is just a pain in the preverbial? Is that on the 'essential characteristics' on the person spec??? Maybe we've just been unlucky and caught people at a bad time a number of times ...

Almost at the Marina

I hated leaving her, the boat has become like a friend or another child somehow, so I hope they look after her accordingly. I’ve grown very attached, especially over the past 10 days when we’ve had to look after each other …

Ah well, she'll be looking much better with a shiny new bottom when we pick her up next week, and it’ll be back to moving along and finding new places and people, hurrah!

For now though, I'm going to have a busy 8 days travelling around some of my family – people that I'm very grateful to have in my life (especially as I normally live on the other side of the world to them!), and I shall relish each magic moment.

3 comments:

  1. Barry is just not enjoying the fact that you're in the sun and he's not!! It has been completely bleak and miserable here and doesn't look like improving much before Friday!! Only a few more days and we will post him back to you so you can continue on your journey!
    Well done on driving the boat to its destination without crashing - you'll be feeling very confident now - you might get to be the captain more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra
    Just letting you know that i look forward to my daily reading of your blog and keeping up with your travels. Caught up with Barry last night at the Quiz and I agree with Deb he is a bit miffed about you getting the sunshine. Though it has cleared today there is still a cold breeze keeping the temperatures down.

    Lorraine and I are off to Queensland on Saturday for two weeks touring in a campervan. Looking forward to warmer weather.

    All the Best
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Barry & Sandra, Joan here from Evesham Lock. I have read and really enjoyed both the blog Sandra and the photos Barry. The photos brought back alot of good times Christopher and myself spent cruising the waterways.We are away on the Oxford canal on June 20th which will be great.
    Hey Sandra I didn't realize that my cat Sophie was a visiter to you and Northern Pride until I saw the photo of her on front of your boat.
    It was so nice having you stay with us for a short while, lets hope we see you both again some day. I will look forward to reading about your travels, enjoy each day and have fun both of you.
    All the best
    Christopher & Joan

    ReplyDelete