Narrowboat AREandARE

From the 2009 & 2010 tantalising tales, traumas and stunning photographs of Barry (photographer) and Sandra (writer) from New Zealand aboard NB 'Northern Pride', to the stories of their 2013 return journey, purchase of 'AREandARE', progress on sustaining their live aboard continuous cruiser lifestyle, and Barry's quest to gain residency and 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' in UK ...

Monday 25 May 2009

A quiet day on the island

A quiet, reflective day, spent mostly in solitude. Spoke with Barry this morning at his mum’s in Gisborne, he’d had 4 hours of sleep since I left him on Saturday morning, but was still able to crack jokes and make me laugh bless him.

I completed a module of my comprehensive writing course that I’ve been procrastinating about for months (you’ll be pleased to hear Barry!), and went to the Co-op for some provisions for tomorrow’s lunch. My mum, dad, sister and niece are coming to visit, then I shall leave Northern Pride secured with the lock keeper for a couple of nights and go and have a relaxing bath, mow my hairy legs with the epilady (gross!) and straighten my hair for once – bliss! I’ll also get a few loads of washing done, yahoo!

It’s an odd feeling living on land after spending time on a narrowboat; you feel as though you’re still rocking around on the water! It’ll be good to have some company for a couple of days though.

My company today has been a narrowboat moored up next to me this morning with a German couple on board, and a cruiser this evening with an English couple on who were also here 2 nights ago. I don’t have the gift of the gab that Barry has, so haven’t really struck up any meaningful conversations with any of them, just a polite hello. Of course there’s also the many geese around who ‘bark’ at all hours of the day and night and are still coming round to call on Barry who fed them left over Yorkshire Pudding the night before he left!! Then there’s the lock keepers cat that comes to the window every now and then to look in, and jumped on board for a sniff around! I took photo's of the animal companions but for the life of me can't get them to load - I'm giving up to watch a DVD!

So no blogging for a couple of days, should be back on board Thursday…

No comments:

Post a Comment